Ways to Volunteer
Literacy Minnesota believes volunteers are vital to the success of students and literacy programs. We believe volunteers bring optimism and enthusiasm, create positive energy, and share diverse perspectives that lead to enhanced learning outcomes for students. We strive to create learning environments where volunteers:
- Contribute in meaningful ways to student success.
- Reflect the diverse communities they serve.
- Are valued for their unique abilities.
- Are trained, mentored and supported in their work.
- Have the opportunity to develop their skills as literacy practitioners.
- Are empowered to advocate for literacy in their communities.
How You Can Help
Become a tutor or classroom assistant with an Adult Basic Education (ABE) program near you.
Training helps to ensure that volunteers who work in all instructional areas can effectively support learners in reaching their educational goals, whether they are studying English, working towards their GED, or preparing for a citizenship test.
Learn more about training options for volunteers working with adult learners on our Volunteer Foundations Training page.
- ESL Social - Visit a classroom with your group at our Open Door Learning Center in Saint Paul to practice conversational English with adult learners. This opportunity is perfect for 10-20 people. This is a one-time commitment of two hours on a weekday morning. For more information, contact Marian Eichinger at email@example.com.
Are you interested in dedicating a year or a summer to full-time service work? Check out our AmeriCorps VISTA programs. Opportunities available throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Literacy Leadership Program (Yearlong) - Literacy Leaders work behind the scenes to design and carry out literacy initiatives in partnership with schools, government agencies, nonprofits and Tribal Nations.
- Summer Reads (June-August) - Summer Reads VISTAs work with schools and community sites to fight the summer slide—the decline of literacy skills in low income children—for eight weeks over the summer.