Ways to Volunteer
Literacy Minnesota believes volunteers are vital to the success of students and literacy programs. We believe volunteers bring optimism and enthusiasm, create positive energy, and share diverse perspectives that lead to enhanced learning outcomes for students. We strive to create learning environments where volunteers:
- Contribute in meaningful ways to student success.
- Reflect the diverse communities they serve.
- Are valued for their unique abilities.
- Are trained, mentored and supported in their work.
- Have the opportunity to develop their skills as literacy practitioners.
- Are empowered to advocate for literacy in their communities.
How You Can Help
- ESL Social - Visit a classroom at one of our Open Door Learning Centers in Minneapolis or Saint Paul to practice conversational English with adult learners. This opportunity is perfect for 10-20 people. This is a one-time commitment of 2 hours on a weekday morning or evening. For more information, contact Meghan Boyle at email@example.com.
Are you interested in dedicating a year or a summer to full-time service work? Check out our AmeriCorps VISTA programs:
- Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program (Yearlong) - Literacy Leaders work behind the scenes to design and carry out literacy initiatives in partnership with schools and community organizations.
- Summer Reads (June-August) - Summer Reads VISTAs work with schools and community sites to fight the summer slide—the decline of literacy skills in low income children—for 8 weeks over the summer.