Reading, Writing, Math and GED Tutor Pre-Service Training
This training prepares volunteers to work with adult native English speakers or high-level ESL students on reading, writing and math goals. Volunteers may work 1-1, lead classes, or serve as classroom assistants.
This training will give you the tools to become a successful tutor. You'll learn valuable strategies for teaching reading, writing and math. You’ll also gain a greater understanding of some of the challenges your learner may face when trying to learn to read and write. You'll learn how to:
- Establish academic and real-life reading and writing goals with your students
- Use textbooks to meet your students' goals
- Teach alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension
- Help your students prepare for the GED tests
- Plan lessons that meet your students' needs
- Find the many teaching resources available to volunteer tutors
Training participants who will be volunteering in the state of Minnesota pay a nominal $40 registration fee. Trainees who will not be volunteering their time or who will be teaching English outside of Minnesota pay $50.
The Minnesota Literacy Council is committed to creating and fostering an organizational culture that is welcoming and inclusive to all. If you need assistance paying the registration fee, waivers are available. Please contact Kelly Rynda at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9074 to request a fee waiver.
You'll receive a tutoring handbook with background information, activity ideas, and sample lesson plans plus on-going access to in-service workshops and tutoring materials.
Upon completion of this course, participants will:
- Receive a 12-hour Reading, Writing, Math and GED Tutor certificate, which meets the standards of the Minnesota Department of Education
- Be eligible to apply for any adult literacy volunteer position in the state of Minnesota
CEUs are available.
Is there an online version of the Pre-service Volunteer Training?
The Minnesota Literacy Council provides a free, self-paced online course “ABE/GED Classroom Volunteer Training” that takes approximately two hours to complete. There is no online version of the 12 Hour Pre-service Tutor Training. The interactive nature of the workshop makes it very difficult to provide a quality version of this training online. By request live training is available for any Adult Basic Education program in Minnesota with a minimum of 10 participants.