COVID Programming Changes
Literacy Minnesota is canceling and adapting our programming at this time due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Our COVID-19 resource page contains lots of information to help learners, VISTA members, volunteers and other stakeholders navigate the pandemic.
- All of our Open Door Learning Centers are closed through at least August 31, with virtual learning opportunities in place to help learners stay on track. Listen to our school closure announcement in five languages.
- All in-person tutor training workshops and volunteer information sessions are cancelled through December 31. Please check the events calendar for webinars being offered.
- We are unable to place new volunteers at this time. Please check back for opportunities in the fall.
- The Adult Literacy Hotline will be available to return messages when calls are not able to be answered. Please expect some delays with this service.
- We are not accepting book donations at this time.
- Instead of the live Beyond Words Bash originally planned for April 16, we're sharing a VIRTUAL CAMPAIGN. Virtual Beyond Words features many of the inspiring voices you would have heard at the live bash. Now more than ever, literacy learners need your support. Keep an eye on your inbox and social media platforms for updates about how you can participate!
- Summer Reads VISTA responsibilities are expanded to focus on not only K-3 literacy tutoring and mentoring (in either virtual or in-person settings following CDC, MN Department of Health and MN Department of Education guidelines), but also to include food support and other basic needs wrap-around support for students of all ages and their families, depending on the host site's needs and priorities.
- Our VISTA recruitment process is operating in an entirely virtual environment with candidate interviews for Summer Reads and Literacy Leader positions taking place by video conference and phone.
- Current VISTAs and incoming VISTAs are allowed to teleserve (work remotely) up to and including full-time, and should see their site supervisor or Literacy Minnesota national service staff for additional information.
- Our various technology initiatives already function largely on a virtual basis. These will continue as usual for the foreseeable future.
- Other in-person meetings should be handled remotely.
Please continue to check this page for an updated list of what is CLOSED and what is CONTINUING. We’re very sorry for the interruption of programming and look forward to being back in session as soon as possible. Stay tuned for updates and be well.