Purpose: to practice describing and defining vocabulary
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Materials: a board with markers, an extra chair, and a list of vocabulary words to review and practice
1. prepare a list of vocabulary words to review and practice
2. place a chair at the front of the classroom such that a person seated in the chair would have his or her back to the board
1. Select a word from the vocabulary list and give the class clues or a definition of the word. Ask students to guess what the word is. Repeat with a couple more words.
2. (Optional step) provide students with the list of words and ask them to describe and define all the words either by discussing with a partner or writing descriptions.
3. Ask students to put away their notes, etc.
4. Divide the class into two teams. Call on a student from one team to sit in the chair up front.
5. Instruct students not to say the word that you will write on the board.
6. Write one of the words on the board above the seated student’s head. That student’s team gives clues to the student who will then guess the word.
7. Award one point to the team if the student successfully guesses—even if the other team accidentally provides the clue. Take away a point if someone on that student’s team says the word that is on the board.
8. Call on a student from the other team to take a turn with her back to the board.
9. Continue until students have reviewed all the words on the list. If extra practice is needed, rotate the vocabulary words through the game twice.
Variation: Have one student from each team sit under the board and the team member that guesses the word first earns a point.
Get the latest teaching tips and resources.